Friday, February 2, 2007

Insufficient system resources exist ... what's going on?

So finally today I got my new Seagate Barracuda 320 GB hard drive, put it into a USB 2.0 enclosure and started copying files (I mean thousands of files) onto it. After a while I get the following error "Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service." I am running Windows XP Pro, SP2.
Great.... just what I need...
Bad drive?
USB enclosure bad?
So I did some searching, increased my page file size, turned off any background programs, reboot, reboot .. no avail.
I finally found this article by Microsoft "Backup program is unsuccessful when you back up a large system volume" ... I applied the first registry change (PoolUsageMaximum) with a setting of 60 and that did the trick!
I mean how on earth are you supposed to know that there is some system internal kernel memory limit of 160 MB? Well well ... seems to be working fine now.

No comments: